1. The contract he signed in 1997 made him highest paid - but that status only lasted until Steve Young got his new deal. Young extension article
2. An article by Brandt (who was GB contract/cap guru at the time) indicated the 1997 contract also included a "favored nations" clause that guaranteed Favre being paid as "as a top-five NFL quarterback." - but it says that was ONLY for the 2003 season. [url=as a top-five NFL quarterback.]Brandt article
3. There are TONS of articles on the 10 yr $100 mil deal he signed with Sherman (2001). NONE of them indicate Favre was highest paid. Yes, it was the most total ever paid, but it was also by far the longest contract ever given. 10 yr 100 mil article
I also googled for "2007 nfl highest paid players list" and "2008 nfl highest paid players list" - post trade, the Jets paid him on the same contract as GB had given him; no renegotiation. Favre's name was nowhere to be found on either list.
So to summarize my findings (which may well be incomplete - I didn't spend hours):
1. He was highest paid when he received his 1997 contract - that status lasted only a month at most until Young signed his deal. There was no immediate renegotiation.
2. That 1997 contract DID contain a 'top 5 QB pay' clause, but for the last year (2003) ONLY. And by the way, they never made it to that year, because the deal was torn up in 2001.
3. The 10 yr contract in 2001, it does not appear, included any such clauses - at least, I didn't find any evidence of such.
I think you are remembering the 1997 deal when he did become the highest paid; Young got paid a few days later, and the media was making a big deal about it - "Do you think you should be highest paid". But NOTHING was done to immediately redo the contract. And the only year that had a 'make him the highest paid player' clause, they never got to because they redid the whole contract before that.
I do seem to recall them converting different types of bonuses a couple of times under the 10 yr deal, but it had nothing to do with making him highest paid - it was to free up more cap room by kicking his cap hit down the road. That happened a couple times.
Interested in hearing any additional information you may have...
« Back to index